Monday, September 22, 2014

Gotham "Pilot" Review/Thoughts

After months of anticipation and hype Gotham is finally here. Ben Mckenzie steps up to the task of portraying a young Jim Gordon, but this pilot isn't without it's flaws...


Episode Description: Rookie detective James Gordon battles villains and corruption in the premiere of this action-adventure series set in pre-Batman Gotham City.

High Points

  • Jim Gordon does a little bit of detective work
  • Selina Kyle is agile
  • Solid characterization of Carmine Falcone
  • Fish Mooney was interesting
  • Robin Lord Taylor is an intriguing yet different Oswald Cobblepot
  • Donal Logue is a solid Bullock and Mckenzie is a solid Gordon
  • The look of Gotham is beautiful
  • Barbara Kean is pretty :)
  • Gotham City is a shithole like it should be
  • Enjoyed the final 10 minutes

Low Points

  • Overall slow pace
  • Boring action pieces
  • Terrible shootouts
  • Hardo Alfred is a Hardo
  • Ivy Pepper and her family cause volatile body reactions
  • Shoving several classic villains into the pilot
  • Would like more Bruce
  • People already calling Oswald "Penguin"

Verdict: I'm not going to lie, I had low expectations for this show. My heart belongs to the Batman universe and anyone who I believe is attempting to harm it automatically becomes my enemy. Everything I heard about this show going into its premiere made me think that I would detest it. To my surprise that wasn't the case. I didn't hate Gotham, but I sure as hell didn't love it either. The show has a good cast and the potential to be a new take on the tale of the early days of the comic world's most infamous city. Yet this first episode felt very slow. It also felt like a chance to cram every DC villain the general audience knows into one episode. Hopefully this series overcomes pilot syndrome and can turn into a interesting take on the early Batman mythos. Oswald Cobblepot was a standout character for me though. I wanna see more of him climbing the ranks and being a slippery fuck. Overall I give the pilot episode of Gotham a 6 out of 10. This show has potential, lets hope it lives up to it.


Thanks for reading. What did you think of Gotham's premiere episode? Sound off in the comments. Make sure to check out my reviews every week and follow our live action tweeting of every episode @Caped_Informers and @cstrand73.

2 comments:

Comments