Friday, May 6, 2016

Captain America: Civil War (No Spoilers)

Captain America: Civil War is everything I wanted from Avengers: Age of Ultron while still remaining a Captain America centric film.


My buddy turned to me right after the end credits began and said "Dude, I just had a boner for 2 1/2 hrs" (really hope they put that quote on the back of the Blu Ray). That pretty much sums up how any comic book/Marvel movie fan will feel after they watch Civil War. The movie has so many incredible characters and the best (YES THE BEST) fight in a superhero ever.

The Russo Brothers (Arrested Development) are back at the helm and once again they take a Captain America movie to new heights. They continue the personal story of Cap + Bucky from Cap's last two outings and that relationship carries the movie that is stuffed with other superheroes.

  • First and foremost THE AIRPORT SCENE! You have only seen 2% of it in the trailers. Every single character involved has their moment to shine and kick serious ass. This is this the closest thing to a huge crossover comic event that has ever been on screen. You will see characters match ups you had only dreamed about . I was smiling throughout. Without a doubt, it is the best comic book movie fight ever. 
  • Spiderman is fantastic. Tom Holland nails it. He plays the part of the teenager among  the adult superheroes PERFECTLY. He also has some of my favorite dialogue in the film. Everything I saw from him just made Spiderman:Homecoming my #1 anticipated comic movie of 2017.
Holland really reminded me of this criminally underrated Spiderman cartoon
  • Everyone will tell you Spiderman steals the show. And while I loved him, I feel Antman actually steals the spotlight. Will talk about why in my spoiler review.
  • The movie has several comic references including a few actual plot points from the Civil War storyline. 
  • Every audience member will understand why Cap and Iron Man are on opposite sides.  Their motivations make total sense thus making their confrontations more emotional to the viewer.
  • Black Panther is an absolute beast. Chadwick Boseman introduces the King Of Wakanda in excellent fashion. He brings a regal attitude, but at the same time he has a vicious and unique fighting style. Let's just say you do not want to get stuck in his crosshairs.
YOU FORGOT THE PICKLES!
  • There are a few more action beats besides the epic Airport fight that are great. The opening fight scene though had some shaky cam moments that made it difficult for me to follow. That also could have been because I was forced to see the movie in 3D and had to wear 3D glasses over my glasses. That shit fucks with your vision.
  • The bromances between Falcon + Cap and Cap + Bucky are my favorite. They have each others backs no matter what. I love that kind of loyalty.
  • I started out on Cap's side and ended on Cap's side. Chris Evans embodies what I have always felt a hero should stand for and be. Someone who will protect people no matter what.
  • Scarlet Witch is the most powerful Avenger and she shows that off quite a bit.
  • The villain is fine. His motivations make sense especially with the themes of the movie, but he is kind of just there.
There is so much more to talk about. This movie is stuffed, but the Russo Bros do a great job of making sure everything flows in the storytelling. Captain America: The Winter Soldier probably has a more sophisticated storyline, but Civil War has incredible set pieces and characters out the wahzoo. I'm giving Captain America: Civil War an A

How is Marvel going to top this one? Which superhero bout did you like the most? Did you like Spiderman as much as I did? Sound off in the comments and make sure to follow me @cstrand73 on Twitter and Instagram for all of my superhero insights. You can also check out my reviews for the first two Captain America movies below.

UPDATE: Out of all the questions Civil War leaves about the future of MCU, this was by far the biggest and it needed to be answered.


Tweet Credit to +Superhero Feed 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments